Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksZurich Municipal > How to claim

Guidance on preparing and submitting your claim.


Guide to your claims departments
The Zurich Municipal claims department is divided into three areas:
- Property Claims
- Motor Claims
- Liability Claims

When should I contact your claims department?
You should contact the department in the event of a loss or potential claim if you need advice or assistance about any claims. Our lines are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

For details of your relevant claims office please see our Office Directory »

What type of claims does the Property Claims Unit handle?
The Property Claims Unit deals with damage to your property as a result of a fortuitous incident/event, subject to conditions and exclusions. Depending on your policy, this will range from buildings, contents, money and potential consequential losses as a result of the initial incident/event, i.e. business interruption, works in progress etc.

These events are listed in your policy cover and may include, Fire, Lightning, Explosion, Aircraft, Riot and Malicious Persons, Earthquake, Subterranean Fire, Storm or Flood, Escape of Water, Impact, Audio or Visual Communication, Falling Trees or Branches, Leakage of Oil, Theft.

If you are handling your property claims below your excess and have an aggregate cap, these need to be recorded separately.

You may wish to use our Property Stop Loss Monitoring Form » to ensure they all count towards your annual aggregate stop

What type of claims does the Motor Claims Unit handle?
The Motor Claims Unit deals with damage caused to your insured vehicles and liability arising from a motor accident involving your insured vehicles. For example, call the Motor Claims Unit if you’re involved in a road traffic accident, someone has alleged that one of your vehicles caused damage to a third party, your insured vehicle suffers damage or is stolen, or you simply require assistance.

What type of claims does the Liability Claims Unit handle?
The Liability Claims Unit handle claims made against you for loss or damage to property or for personal injuries. If you receive a claim from an employee, this will be dealt with under the employers’ liability section of your policy. For example, an employee injures his back while lifting and alleges you’re at fault because you didn’t offer manual handling training. You may also receive claims from another person or organisation, such as a tenant, a contractor, visitor or members of the public and we will handle these under the public liability section of your policy. The Liability Claims Team also handles claims in the following parts of your policy:
• Libel and slander claims, such as, a director making an alleged slanderous remark and the injured party sues for damages.
• Professional negligence claims, for example another organisation bringing a claim against you in relation to fee-paying professional services that you have provided for them.
• Engineering insurance claims, such as electrical or mechanical breakdown of a lift, or a cracked boiler.
• Deterioration of stock claims, including loss of food following a freezer break down.
• Fidelity guarantee claims, where an employee steals cash from your safe.
• Personal accident claims, for example, a member of your staff is physically assaulted while on duty and sustains a fractured kneecap.
• Legal expenses claims, such as an employee alleging unfair dismissal; you have a good (better than 50%) chance of success at tribunal, but you need to claim for the cost of defence in the form of legal expenses. For full details of your policy, please refer to your summary of cover, Policy Schedules and the SELECT policy wording.

Should you wish to discuss any claims, please contact the relevant claims department or your Claims Relationship Manager.

If you have a query regarding your policy cover, please contact your Underwriter or Risk & Insurance Consultant.

Sign up now for News and Views from Zurich Municipal

News & Views

A new way to share industry-leading thinking, knowledge and insight to the public sector.

» Find out more
» Sign up now


Not a Zurich Municipal Customer?

» Register online

» Browse our Products & Services


Need to make a claim?

Call us:

Property claims:
0800 028 0336

Motor claims:
0800 916 8872

Liability claims:
0800 335 500

or email:

Existing customer?

You may wish to contact your Risk and Insurance Consultant

» View Zurich Municipal contacts